YOU’RE INVITED to a workshop for anyone who seeks to move from head to heart and from idea to behavior to address whiteness.
Saturday, March 10, 2018, 9:30am-3:30pm. Unitarian Universalist Society of Rockport, 4 Cleaves St, Rockport, MA 01966.
Presenter: Meck Groot, New England Region UUA
Systemic racism is a barrier to authentic and joyful community – not only because it excludes, exploits and destroys people and communities of color – but also because it requires that white people comply with denial, deceit and even violence in exchange for benefits and immunities. It causes suffering, keeps people from knowing themselves and each other, and makes us forget that we belong to one another.
In this experiential workshop, we will explore how this system traps both those victimized and those privileged by it. We will consider the spiritual and political call to and our role in collective liberation. More particularly, we will:
• ground our learning in our vision of Beloved Community
• explore how racism is a complex system everyone in the U.S. is trapped inside
• examine some of the characteristics of dominant white culture
• identify how and why individuals and congregations participate in this culture — even unconsciously
• consider how we might engage our spiritual leadership to interrupt participation in this system toward liberation for everyone
Learning takes root more effectively when four or more people from the same community attend together. You are strongly encouraged to attend this workshop with a team.
REGISTRATION FEE: $10 per person, includes program, lunch and refreshments
CHILDCARE: Will you need child care to participate? If so, please indicate on the registration form by the registration deadline of March 2.