Immigrant Legal Advocacy Project (ILAP)
Each week, we share one third of our offering with a local nonprofit to show our support for organizations whose work furthers the values expressed in our denomination’s Seven Principles. We hope that Share the Plate will also bring a greater awareness to the community of Allen Avenue UU Church and Unitarian-Universalist values.
The August Share the Plate recipient is ILAP, the Immigrant Legal Advocacy Project. ILAP provides free and low cost immigration and legal assistance to low-income Maine residents. Their goal is to keep families together, gain protection from persecution and domestic violence, attain residency and work authorization, and become proud U.S. citizens. ILAP builds stable families and improved opportunities, allowing Maine’s immigrants to contribute to their communities for generations to come. ILAP offers a number of volunteer opportunities which include:
- Assisting with ILAP’s Friday intake process
- Interpreting attorney consultations and translating client documents
- Assisting clients with completing immigration applications
- Providing clerical and general office support
- Event coordinating and supporting fundraising efforts
ILAP was nominated by Isabel Denham, a long-time supporter.