Date(s) - 02/18/2018
12:30 pm - 1:30 pm
Categories No Categories
A Special Congregational Meeting of the Allen Avenue Unitarian Universalist Church will be held at 12:30 p.m. on Sunday, February 18, 2018 at the church, 524 Allen Avenue, Portland, Maine, (If we need to cancel for snow, we will instead hold the meeting on Sunday, February 25th at the same time and place) for the purpose of considering and taking action on the following matters:
- To decide upon the final phase of our Building and Grounds Renewal Projects;
- To dispose of a bequest from the Estate of Cay Peirce;
- To consider an endorsement of the Physicians for Social Responsibility’s Back from the Brink call to prevent
nuclear war; and
- Any other business that may legally come before the meeting.
BY ORDER OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES February 8, 2018 Diane Oberbeck, Clerk
Notes and Context
- Building and Grounds Renewal Projects – We are in the final phase of our three-year Renewal Projects and will be deciding upon the use of our remaining funds (estimated to equal $73,000 by October 1, 2018). Remaining projects to consider include remodeling of the bathrooms, remodeling of the foyer and the purchase of heat pumps. Members of the Renewal Projects Working Group will be on hand to explain the bathroom and foyer remodel plans and answer questions at the following times: Sunday Feb. 11 between services and after the second service in the foyer; Wednesday Feb. 14 in the foyer from 1-2:30; Thursday Feb. 15 in the foyer from 5:30-7:00. Members interested in learning more about the proposed plans are invited to drop in during one of the sessions. It is not necessary to stay for the whole time of the session. Additional details on the proposed projects will be emailed just prior to the congregational meeting.
- Bequest disposition – According to our bylaws, the congregation reserves the right to decide upon the disposition of bequests. We have received an almost $11,000 bequest from the estate of Cay Peirce, a member of the church.
- Back from the Brink endorsement – Our congregation has been asked by the Physicians for Social Responsibility, Maine Chapter to endorse a call to prevent Nuclear War. The Unitarian Universalist Association has signed on to this statement, and there is a hope that individual congregations and religious communities could do so as well. The local PSR contact person is Doug Dransfield, MD.,Clerk, PSR Maine.
Back from the Brink: A Call to Prevent Nuclear War
We call on the United States to lead a global effort to prevent nuclear war by:
* renouncing the option of using nuclear weapons first
* ending the sole, unchecked authority of any President to launch a nuclear attack
* taking US nuclear weapons off hair-trigger alert
* cancelling the plan to replace its entire arsenal with enhanced weapons;
* actively pursuing a verifiable agreement among nuclear armed states to eliminate their nuclear arsenals